2026-01-26 – Weekly Customer Service News : A dad joke saved a renewal

Last week, the forum buzzed with discussions that balanced the art of customer interaction with technology’s evolving role. Members shared anecdotes on how humor can sometimes be the best tool in customer retention, while others delved into rapid learning for tools like Zendesk. There was also a keen focus on maintaining efficiency during training and exploring the delicate balance between speed and staffing in customer responses.


This Week’s Hot Topics

A dad joke saved a renewal
This thread highlights a lighthearted yet effective approach to customer retention. It seems a simple joke can sometimes make all the difference.
Read more here

Learning Zendesk and call scripting fast
For those ramping up in new roles, this discussion is packed with tips on swiftly mastering Zendesk and crafting effective call scripts.
Read more here

Keeping FRT steady during training
Explore how teams manage to keep first response times consistent even while onboarding new staff. A useful read for any growing team.
Read more here

Keeping AI helpful but human in support
A thoughtful conversation on integrating AI without losing the human touch in support services.
Read more here

Balancing first-response speed with staffing
This topic delves into strategies for maintaining quick response times with limited staff, a common challenge in many service teams.
Read more here

Requesting sample escalation matrix templates
Members are sharing resources and insights on creating effective escalation matrices—useful for any team refining their processes.
Read more here

Monthly value check-ins vs QBRs
An ongoing debate about the benefits of frequent check-ins versus quarterly business reviews. Plenty of perspectives here.
Read more here

The mute button mystery at 2 a.m
A lighter thread with a curious case of a mute button malfunction, sparking discussions on night shifts and unexpected tech challenges.
Read more here

Our 5-second CSAT experiment
This experiment in shortening customer satisfaction surveys raises interesting points on efficiency and data quality.
Read more here

Tuning real-time assist to our scorecards
A discussion on aligning real-time support tools with performance scorecards to enhance service quality.
Read more here


Thanks for keeping up with the latest discussions. I’m looking forward to seeing how these conversations evolve and continue to shape our community’s expertise.

I saved a renewal last month by opening with “I left my robot voice at home today” and then repeating the customer’s top concern in their words. Humor buys a minute, but certainty closes the loop — drop a Zendesk macro with steps and ETA right after (this one’s a good start: https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203687906-Using-macros-to-update-tickets), and skip the joke if the ticket’s a Sev-1.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌‌​‌‌‍​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‍‌‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‍​‌‌‌‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠⁠‌‍⁠​‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‌​‌‌‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve had good luck pairing a quick dad joke with a micro-ETA: ‘I’ll ship a test fix in 15 minutes and circle back at 2:10 PM — deal?’ In Zendesk, I built a macro that drops the exact clock time and next step so it’s not just vibes; if the joke doesn’t land, I skip it and lead with the ETA. @Nina this cut my renewal jitters because certainty feels like service.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‍​‌​​⁠‌​⁠‌‌‍⁠‍​⁠​‌‌‌​‌‌‍‍‍‌‍‌⁠‌​​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

One thing that’s worked for me: I open with a 10‑second mirror and a concrete ask — “If I ship a repro and rollback plan in the next 20 minutes, would that solve today?” — then paste a one‑line Zendesk macro summary at the top of the ticket so they can forward it internally. If the customer’s heat is above a 7/10, I skip any joke and let the crisp plan be the icebreaker.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠‍​‌⁠‌‍​⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‍‌‍‍‍‌​​‍​‍⁠‌‌‌‍​‌​‌‍‌⁠‍‍‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​